This month aad are [slow] out of the blocks to share some of the things they’re excited to Do, See, Hear and generally waste time on this month.
EVENTS ddr. Paddy's Day Bonanza 17 Mar Avoid the crowds and take in the sea at the same time. This is the connoisseurs Paddy’s day event.
The best St Patrick's day parade in Ireland 17 Mar Really avoid the crowds and head to Tyrrellspass to discover the true spirit of the parade. [We think Rory might be an agent for tyrrel’s pass tourism…]
Red Bull Free Gaff 30 Mar – 1 Apr Who doesn’t love a free gaff? And red bull have been a brilliant supporter of new music talent for years!
EXHIBITIONS Ghostnotes: Music of the Unplayed 25 Mar - OffSite/RHA A celebratory homecoming for legendary [Irish] hip hop photographer B+
Grayson Perry RHA Beautiful exhibition by a beautiful person. Much love for Grayson over here.
Collection Coast-lines IMMA A 12 month programme of changing displays of artworks and archival material that will explore our sense of place, perception, representation and memory
Niall McCormack U:mack Posters The Bernard Shaw 24 posters from the past 24 years, documenting the legendary U:Mack gigs through Niall’s design work.
GIGS Open Mike Eagle and Milo 21 Mar - Sugar Club A hip hop artist that’s always surprising.
DJ Lo Down Loretta Brown (Erykah Badu) 23 Mar - Sugar Club Erykah Badu. In Dublin. At the Sugar Club. Why are you still reading this?
Young Fathers 28 Mar - The Academy Had to get something Scottish in here, thankfully the awesome Young Fathers are playing this month and not the Proclaimers.
WATCH Silicon Valley Season 5 We like to think of this as an augmented documentary or humorous reconstruction of real life in America’s tech capital.
Flint Town A documentary series that picks up where The Wire left off but shot like a scandi-noir.
Ugly Delicious All the flavour. None of the BS. David Chang hunts for the most mouthwatering, satisfying food with none of the fuss.
Derry Girls You’ve all seen this right? If not then WTF!? Brilliant from start to finish, possibly the most affecting final scene of any show i’ve ever seen, and for a comedy series, totally mind-blowing.
Annihilation Team of kick ass women go deliverance meets monsters in creepy thriller directed by Alex Garland.
LISTEN - PLAYLISTS Daniel O’Sullivan – Veld Perfect soundtrack for the early morning ease in.
Rythm Section on NTS Perfect Soundtrack for a post lunch lift.
Nils Frahm, All Melody Perfect soundtrack for the early evening meltdown.
Against All Logic, 2012 - 2017 Perfect soundtrack for late night innovation.
Black Panther The Album, Music from and Inspired by Just the perfect soundtrack. [And track 2, holy moly.]
100 Archive launch night playlist Perfect soundtrack to the launch of a design archive [hopefully!]
LISTEN - PODCASTS Reply All Scary episode about Facebook listening to users to sell ads to them
More or Less Enlightening look at statistics, the role they play in our lives and how accurate they are.
Thinking Allowed New research on how society works. Enough said.
Dailyzeitgeist Trying to keep up with the ever unfolding madness of the world without losing it’s head
READ - BEDTIMES Important round these parts that the parents enjoy the bedtime story as much as the kids…
#THESTUDIOMIND This is the name of our slack channel where we share random stuff with each other. It’s nothing if not a melting pot, so here’s a months worth of stuff to chew on, bon appetit!
– OK, everybody put down what you’re doing, no point doing any more work until we’ve all read this
– iA have been blogging a lot in an attempt to boost sales of writer. Interesting that they're being so transparent about it, but also the writing is good and interesting.
– Good listen about what makes a CEO.
– Really interesting spring school in NYC.
– Sounds like blockchain might be the new 'social contract'.
– I love Richard Turley. This is hilariously spot on.
– Interesting (slightly technical) overview of where content development is heading and how best to future proof it.
– Nice podcast on McLuhan
– Nice insight to the new wetransfer content site. Lots of nice details and thinking.
– New site from BONG for Isabel and Helen 3d designers
– The more I'm reading the more I'm blown away by Elon Musk and his ideas.
– New Nike content. Smart, smart, smart as always.
– This article is worth a read of you've ever been bewildered by the pace of change in the tools we use to build digital products. Good argument for openness, legibility and a space for experience and nuance.
– Designing gov.uk - worth a lunchtime watch
– This is amazing, and incredibly boring and intense at the same time. About remaking regulation for the connected world. Seems more and more needed every day. This is full of great insights and ideas [but will make your brain bleed... don't say I didn't warm you]
– Mad, call a website for commentary. Post-bot world?
– Good read about the role of ethics in design and the cost of not having any.
– This is an ad for Murphys Stout from the lates 90's. Apparently it was directed by Hiroyuki Kitakubo who directed Mobile Suit Gundam and worked on Akira. WTF?
– Really handy tool for naming, or even just writing, much broader than a regular thesaurus